Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

The Can You Feel It? stress workshop and resource guide was launched this morning at the forum. It was developed by the Sudbury & District Health Unit because of a large number of local high school students identifying stress as their top health priority in a survey conducted by the Health Unit’s School Team. I was in high school back when this survey was done, and while there is no way of knowing for sure if I took part in this one specifically, I do remember writing stress down on some sort of health survey in a classroom many years ago...

High school doesn’t seem that long ago, but I am a completely different person when it comes to dealing with stress now than I was then. The second year of my undergrad was one of the most stressful periods of my life. It was sink or swim and I had to learn how to cope or find a new direction. I made it through, and my successes and failures in that year helped me to become the person I am today. I have always been an independent person, but beginning in that year I truly learnt that some things cannot be done on my own and there is no shame in seeking help.

Methods of dealing with stress and hardship are difficult to learn on your own. The Can You Feel It? video, workshop, and resource guide helps teens to gain these skills. It will help them to learn that stress is not permanent, it comes and goes, and they can control their reaction to it. By gaining these skills at this time teens will not only be better able to deal with their current stresses, but will also be more prepared for all that comes afterwards.

The Can You Feel It? resources are available not only to schools in the Sudbury area, but also for other health units to use and share. As I have learnt in my life, independence is good but sometimes it is best to work with others. To learn more about the campaign visit the Sudbury & District Health Unit website or click here to view the trailer for the Can You Feel It? video. Tell me what you think about the campaign, or about any programs you know of to share, in the comments below.

Listen to me now
I need to let you know
You don’t have to go it alone
Sometimes you can’t make it on your own
-From “Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own” by U2

-Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment