Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Welcome! My name is Josh Osika and I am a student in the Science Communication program at Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario. Right now I am in week two of my placement on the School Team at the Sudbury & District Health Unit where everyone is busy preparing for the Ontario Healthy Schools Coalition 10th Annual Forum, being held here in Sudbury next week.

The theme for this year is "Resiliency and the School Community". In the two weeks I have been at the health unit so far I have heard a lot about their work to build resiliency and help students to deal with stress. But I also have first hand experience. I am a student, have definitely experienced stress, and it was not that long ago that I was in high school. I was a member of the peer mediation team at my high school and this experience showed me how quickly some people can bounce back and helped me to begin to understand how this skill is developed. I also come from a science background; meaning that I can look at stats and reports and think critically about them. All of this means that I will have a unique outlook on this conference since I am somewhere between a resilient student and young professional.

The title of this post is a quote attributed to Mark Twain, I don't claim to be nearly as skilled at writing, nor will I distort anything (too much). But I will be blogging about the sessions I attend and trying to present what I learn through the lens of my own experience. I'll also have the chance to talk one on one with some of the presenters and will share some of these conversations with you. Hopefully I cover some sessions you are not able to attend so that you can still benefit from them. This blog will also help you to share the conference experience with colleagues who cannot attend. I look forward to meeting many of you over the course of these two days; travel safe and I'll see you soon!

-Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment